Friday, January 3, 2014

My wall calendar

Some time ago I started to make a kind of wall calendar for each month. I created a quilt block approximately 14 x 14 inches with a theme I thought fitting for this month. And then I sewed a piece of plain fabric in the same size at the bottom of this block. This was as far as I got at that time.

End of December I decided to finish these ufos and use them as my wall calendar for this year.

The name of the month was fused to this fabric and then secured by satin stitching. The whole thing was layered and quilted. I quilted with my machine in the ditch around the stars and between the two halves. The bottom part of the quilt was handquilted with perl cotton with some (very naive) stars.

All three layers were sewn together (left sides out) leaving an opening at the bottom of the quilt. Then the right sides were turned out through the opening and the opening was closed with tiny hand stitches.

Here is my quilt aka wall calendar for January. (By the way - the name of the month is in German, so no mistake here.)






































And here is the calendar in full use. A month-at-a-glance page was pinned to the quilt, an inspirational card is clipped to the other side and post-it note with a shopping list adheres very well to the fabric too.


No comments:

Post a Comment